Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Chappel Cemetery

Directions

Fronting FM 501 at intersection of CR 424 in Chappel Community, located 12 miles east of Cherokee and 5 miles west of Bend

12 mi. E on FM 501 at intersection of CR 424

Information

Burials from 1869 to present

History

Chappel, established in the 1850s, is one of San Saba County's earliest settlements. The land for this cemetery is part of 16-1/2 acres donated by Joab B. Harrell (1814-1893) that he formally deeded in 1886 to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Harrell, the county's first Chief Justice, had buried his own son at this site some fifteen years earlier. The M.E. Church, a school and store served as the center of this community. This burial ground chronicles the lives of pioneers and families that are Chappel's heritage. The Chappel Cemetery Association was established in 1976 to ensure the site's preservation and perpetual care. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2001

Transcriptions

Chappel Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com



book | by Dr. Radut