Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Bowser Cemetery

Also known as

  • Bowser Community Cemetery

  • Old Bowser Cemetery

  • Bowser Bend Cemetery

  • Estes Family Cemetery

Directions

First location of the town of Bowser. At Varga cemetery, from Richland Springs, take Hwy. 45 N. about 5 miles then go west on FM 502 for 3.1 miles. Go North on CR a bout 2 miles to Bowser Cemetery on west side of road.

History

Bowser Community. About 1858 the Abel Bowser family settled at a large bend in the Colorado River about 3 miles north of this site. The developing village, school and cemetery became known as Bowser Bend and by the late 1880s included a cotton gin and store. Due to river floods, Paul Varga donated land at this site for a chapel and cemetery in 1890. In the early 1900s J. T. Martin sold town lots and deeded land for a school one-half mile east. The town of Bowser relocated, but the closure of the post office, gin and school caused it to decline in the 1940s. - Historical Marker Text

Transcriptions

Bowser Community Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com

Old Bowser Cemetery Transcription from the San Saba County TXGenWeb site

Bowser Bend Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com



book | by Dr. Radut