Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Pumphrey Cemetery

Directions

FM 1677, about seven miles northwest of Winters

Information

Received Texas Historic Cemetery designation in 2013.

History

Pumphrey. Founded about 1899. Named for Wm. M. Pumphrey (1849-1937), early settler. A deacon of the Baptist church, he would put his organ in a wagon on weekends and take it, his wife and 11 children to attend services in Wingate. In 1900, as the settlement grew, a one-room frame school was built and named New Hope, to embody the aspirations of the citizens. The community came to have a post office (1901-1912), several stores and 2 churches. It withstood tragedy in 1906 when 4 men were killed by lightning -- leaving more than 20 children orphans. - Historical Marker for Pumphrey.  Marker erected 1969.

Transcriptions

Pumphrey Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives

Pumphrey Cemetery graves at findagrave.com



book | by Dr. Radut