Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Center City Cemetery

Directions

From Goldthwaite, take Highway 84 East about 8.5 miles (marker on south side of road).

History

The Center City Cemetery began with the burials in 1874 of Julia M. Bishop and M. E. Hughes, the adult and infant daughters of W. C. and Caroline Hughes, early settlers of this area. Judge L. E. Patterson purchased 2.5 acres containing the Hughes burials in 1905 for use as a community graveyard. Concern for its upkeep prompted the establishment of a cemetery committee in 1951. A $1000 gift to the cemetery in J. M. Dalton's will in 1967 helped establish a maintenance fund. The more than 500 burials recorded here include those of many of this area's earliest settlers. Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected 1993.

Transcriptions

Center City Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives

Center City Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas

Center City Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com



book | by Dr. Radut