Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
From Rochelle, take County Road 424 east abut 1.6 miles; turn south on local gravel road. Continue .25 mile south to cemetery.
E.E. Willoughby (1853-1935), a cattleman from Tarrant County, moved to Rochelle (then about 1.5 mi. SW) in 1883. He acquired land here in 1886 along the Brady-San Saba Road. In 1889 he donated two acres near this site for the community's school and church building, moved here from its original 1886 site about one mile south. When Willoughby's 19-month-old son Ernest Eckie died in 1894, he buried the infant near the school. In 1896, Willoughby deeded one acre here as the Rochelle Cemetery. A new school was built here in 1899. The community and schoolhouse were moved in 1903 about 2 miles northwest to the new Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railroad. This cemetery continued to serve the new community, first named Crothers but soon renamed Rochelle. The tombstones here of the Rev. and Mrs. C.W. Jones indicate that she died in Crothers (1906) and he died in Rochelle (1910), though they both died at their home in the same town. Willoughby deeded another acre to this cemetery in 1910, but he was ultimately buried in Brady at Live Oak Cemetery. The rock fence here was built in 1935, and four more acres were purchased in 1943. The cemetery contains almost 500 graves, of which 105 are unmarked. An association founded in 1972 cares for the grounds. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1986.
Rochelle Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com
Rochelle Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com