Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
From Brady, go north on SH 377 for 15 miles. Turn right at the Placid marker. Go 2.5 miles east of the Placid Community and turn north (left on FM 1028). Go about 2 miles and turn east on the gravel county road. Cemetery is 1 mile on the right.
Burials from 1882 to present
Cowboy Cemetery. According to legend, this cemetery's name is a reference to a cowboy who died while passing through this area and may have been the first interred here. It is known that W.G.S. Hughes (1851-1925) and wife Sarah (1854-1945) donated the land for this site, likely upon the 1882 death of their four-year-old son, William, the cemetery's first recorded burial. They gave an additional acre for a school. In 1932, Sarah Hughes and family deeded another 4.65 acres to the Cowboy Cemetery Association. This group has since overseen many improvements and cared for this burial ground that records the heritage of the Deep Creek Community. Historic Texas Cemetery-2001
Cowboy Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com
Cowboy Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com
Cowboy Cemetery photo from the Texas Historic Sites Atlas