Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
Rock Prairie Cemetery
7.6 mi W of Madisonville on SH 21; 2.25 mi N on Oxford Cemetery Road
On Hwy 21 near Oxford Cemetery. Located one mile north of Oxford Cemetery which is at the corner of Hwy. 21 West and Oxford Cemetery Rd., west of the City of Madisonville. Rock Prairie Cemetery is at 9065 Oxford Cemetery Rd.
Pioneers William D. and Delina Walker Hollis arrived in Texas in 1837 and purchased land in what became the Hollis community in 1855. Joshua and Martha Terrell Ford bought adjoining land in 1860. Oral history relates that a baby born to slaves was buried on the Hollis Farm prior to the Civil War. The first marked burial on the Hollis land was that of William B. Best in 1861. The Marked grave on the Ford's adjoining property was that of Martha Ford's mother, Isabella Terrell, in 1868. Each family set aside acreage out of their property for a community cemetery. Later owners of the land included J. W. Eaves and J. Milton Jackson, whose heirs later deeded the cemetery land to the Rock Prairie Cemetery Association. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1999
Transcriptions & Photos
Rock Prairie Cemetery Transcription from the Madison County TXGenWeb site
Photos from the Madison County TXGenWeb site
Rock Prairie Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives
Rock Prairie Cemetery Graves from findagrave