Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
From Midway take OSR about 4 mi. W to FM 1119, go N about 3 mi. to cemetery
Elwood Cemetery. Elwood was a thriving town by the mid-1850s. The family of prominent early settler and Civil War Veteran James Blair Durham donated 4 acres here to Elwood Methodist Church for cemetery, church, and school purposes in 1874. The first recorded burial was that of Amzie Durham, son of James and Keziah (Welch) Durham, in 1875. Though a post office named French was established here in 1899 the town retained its original name. The Methodist Church relocated in 1901 but continues to maintain the cemetery. Many of the area's early settlers and their descendents are buried here. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1994. Location: From Midway take OSR about 4 mi. W to FM 1119, go N about 3 mi. to cemetery.
Transcriptions & Photos
Elwood Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives
Elwood Cemetery Transcription from the Madison County TXGenWeb site
Photos Transcription from the Madison County TXGenWeb site
Elwood Cemetery Graves at findagrave