Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Compare Cemetery

Compare Cemetery Photo from the Texas Historic Sites Atlas

Directions

Located South of Anson 1 mile, Hwy 277-FM 707 SW 11 miles, W on CR 454 4 miles, S on CR 447, .25 miles to cemetery on left (east) of road.

Information

Burials 1904 to present

History

This burial ground is all that remains of the farming community of Compere, established in the 1880s on ranch land sold by the Compere brothers. In 1900, Daniel and Callie Palmer settled in the area along with their children: Henry, Wilder, William, Roman, Vernon, Ford and Norbin. The Palmers deeded two acres of land for a community cemetery in 1904. The first known burial, that of the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Ashby, took place the same year. Gravestones yield information on former residents, including Carrie Shannon Palmer, who died in the 1918 influenza epidemic, community leaders and veterans of military conflicts. (2001) - Historical Marker text

Historical Cemetery Marker

Transcriptions

Compere Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com

Compere Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas

Photos

Compare Cemetery Photo from the Texas Historic Sites Atlas.



book | by Dr. Radut