Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Phillips Cemetery

Phillips Cemetery Photo from the Historic Sites Atlas.

Directions

Located at the intersection of RR 12 and FM 150 1.9 miles south of Dripping Springs

Information

781 Grave Inscriptions

Maintained by the Phillips Cemetery Association

History

Early settlers John and Nancy Phillips deeded land at this site to the Methodist Episcopal Church, So, in 1880. A small church was built and was dedicated on March 13, 1880. As was customary, members of the community were buried near the church. The earliest documented burial is that of B. G. Sorrell, who died on March 13, 1880. Among the graves here are those of numerous early settlers to the Dripping Springs area and sixteen Civil War veterans. In 1901 land for a new church building was acquired on the Old San Marcos Road (now Ranch Road 12). The original Methodist church building was sold and moved, leaving the site to be used solely for the Methodist cemetery. Families cared for individual graves, while members of the community maintained the cemetery. In the early 1920s the local blacksmith, William S. Garnett, ordered caskets and assisted with funeral arrangements. The Methodist church donated the cemetery property to the community in 1940, and in 1962 a cemetery association was formed to maintain the historic graveyard. Phillips Cemetery, as it was known locally, became the official name of the burial ground. -Historical Marker Text

History and Photos from the Hays County Historical Commission.  Scroll down the page to Phillips Cemetery.

Transcriptions

Partial Trancription from the USGenWeb Archives

Transcription: A-G | H-P | Q-Z from the USGenWeb Archives

Transcription: A-G | H-P | Q Z from the TXGenWeb site

Photos

Cemetery Photos from the Texas Tombstone Project

Phillips Cemetery Photo from the Historic Sites Atlas.



book | by Dr. Radut