Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
Also known as
Smith Family Cemetery
Located on East Klein Street at South River Street, Seguin
This cemetery traces its origin to the Smith family graveyard established by early settlers to this area. Ezekiel (1781-1854) and Susanna (1774-1848) Smith and their four sons migrated to Texas from Virginia. In 1837 Ezekiel was granted land in present day Guadalupe County. Their son, French Smith (1809-1880), was one of the first shareholders of the city of Seguin. He donated land for a city park, high school, and Methodist church. In 1880, French Smith deeded the family cemetery to the City of Seguin. A public cemetery north of the Smith Cemetery was founded, and later called Riverside. George B. Hollamon deeded additional land to the city for the cemetery in 1888, and in 1896 a third parcel was deeded by W. E. Goodrich. These cemeteries were combined for a total of 15 acres. Among the more than 2000 burials are those of pioneer settlers, veterans, elected officials, business leaders, clergy, and former slaves. Although well maintained at times, over the years the cemetery fell into disrepair. In 1994 Friends of Riverside Cemetery undertook a complete restoration of the site through voluntary efforts of concerned citizens and descendants of those buried here. The Riverside Cemetery continues to serve the community. (1996) - Historical Marker Text.
Riverside Cemetery Transcription from the Guadalupe County TXGenWeb site
Riverside Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com