Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
New Berlin; 2 miles north of downtown La Vernia on east side of FM 775.
Burials from 1856 to present
Encompassing 6.814 acres of land, Concrete Cemetery includes within its borders burials for both Anglo and Hispanic citizens of the La Vernia and New Berlin communities. The area surrounding the cemetery was called Concrete (formerly Bethesda). Local farmer and rancher James Henry Newton, who brought his family here from Mississippi about 1851-52, designated a portion of his property as a burial ground when his brother Joel died in 1856. The oldest recorded burial, that of Maria Madden Dial in 1855, indicates previous use as a graveyard. The community and cemetery were named for an 1858 concrete building used as a school, church and Masonic Hall. James Newton officially deeded a two-acre tract of land here in 1875 for use as a community cemetery. The first documented burial in the adjacent Hispanic section is that of Paulita Salazar in 1913. Additional donations of land were made by the descendants of J. G. and Jennie Scull. The graveyard contains a diverse collection of gravestones reflecting the historic communities it serves. Among the more than 800 burials here are pioneer settlers, infants and children, veterans and members of fraternal organizations. The site continues to serve the area. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1997.
Concrete Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives
Concrete Cemetery Transcription from the Guadalupe County TXGenWeb site
Concrete Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com
Concrete Cemetery Transcription from interment.net
Concrete Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com
Concrete Cemetery photo from the Texas Historic Sites Atlas