Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Acrea Cemetery

Directions

8 mi. NE of Stephenville on US 377; .5 mi. N on FM 150

Stephenville vicinity. 8 miles NE of Stephenville on US 377; .5 miles N on FM 150. Bluff Dale Quad. Located about 1 mile off 377 between Bluff Dale and Stephenville.

History

According to oral history, John Wright, who stopped for a time in Erath County on his way west, died nearby in about 1857 or 1858. Landowner Clayborn Oxford donated the land for Wright to be buried on this site. The earliest marked grave is that of Oxford's infant grandson William, who was buried in 1859. The graveyard, then known as Oxford Cemetery, was deeded to Erath County by the Oxford family in 1888 for use by area settlers. Over time the cemetery took on the name of the surrounding community, Acrea. Descendants of the Oxfords and other pioneer families continue to maintain and use the cemetery. (1999) - Historical Marker Text

Transcriptions

Acrea Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives

Acrea Cemetery Transcription from the Erath County TXGenWeb site

Acrea Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com

Acrea Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com



book | by Dr. Radut