Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Dothan Cemetery

Directions

6 miles NW of Cisco. From Cisco go west on CR 2945 for approx. 6 miles and turn right on CR 126, cemetery is on the right about .6 mile from CR 2945

History

THE TEXAS AND PACIFIC RAILWAY BUILT THE DELMAR DEPOT NEAR HERE IN 1880 BEFORE RAIL ACTIVITY SHIFTED TO RED GAP (LATER CISCO). A NEW COMMUNITY NAMED DOTHAN FORMED AND GAINED A POST OFFICE IN 1902. JIM AND MANIRVAL (SHORT) DUNAWAY, WHO SETTLED HERE IN 1886, DONATED LAND FOR A COMMUNITY CEMETERY. THE FIRST BURIAL WAS THEIR GREAT-GRANDSON, CARROLL LEO DUNAWAY, IN 1905. DOTHAN INCLUDED A SCHOOL AND STORES AND BY 1915 REPORTED A POPULATION OF FIFTY. THE SCHOOL CLOSED IN 1940. FAMILY AND FRIENDS HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THE CEMETERY, WHICH FEATURES GRANITE, LIMESTONE AND FIELDSTONE GRAVE MARKERS, A WIRE PERIMETER FENCE, AND AT LEAST 22 VETERANS’ GRAVES. THE DOTHAN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION FORMED IN 1989 TO PRESERVE THIS HISTORIC VESTIGE OF A RURAL COMMUNITY. - Historical Marker Text. Marker dedicated 2012.

Transcriptions

Dothan Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives

Dothan Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com



book | by Dr. Radut