Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
17 miles northwest of Comanche on SH 36, then go about 6 miles west to cemetery.
From Brownwood take US 183 north, thorough May to CR 495. Turn right onto CR 495. This is a gravel road. Travel 1.8 miles to the junction of CR 487. Turn left and travel 1.3 miles to the junction of Comanche CR 197. Turn right for 4.10 miles to the cemetery.
When 14-year-old Charles Farley died in Feb. 1878, his parents buried him near their farmhouse, as this frontier locality had no cemetery at the time. Three months later Fannie Nichols (1875-78) died and was buried nearby. The Farleys then donated an acre of land as a community graveyard. The neighbors built an adjacent brush arbor for funerals and general gatherings. In the summer of 1878, Baptists organized a church, naming it Amity (friendship). Before erecting their own buildings, Baptists and Methodists held services in the brush arbor or at Amity School (1 mi. NW). William H. Lindley (1840-1913) bought land south of the Farley Farm in 1885. When new surveys placed the cemetery on his land, Lindley deeded the burial ground to the public. Later his son-in-law, George Brown, gave an additional acre to be used if needed. A large tabernacle with permanent fixtures replaced the brush arbor and was used for funerals until 1938 or 1939, when it was severely damaged by a storm. Free-will donations have maintained the cemetery since 1951. A "First Sunday in June Singing" which Amity Baptist Church originated in 1897 now serves as an annual memorial day and homecoming. By 1978 Amity Cemetery has nearly 400 graves. (1978) - Historical Marker Text
The cemetery use to be located in Brown County.
Amity Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com
Amity Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com