Skip to Content

Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.

Shannon Cemetery

Directions

.5 mi. E of Shannon on FM 175; .5 mi. S on local road

History

Established near a flourishing spring of water and a general store in 1878, the settlement around this site was known as Stampede Springs. The first burial in this cemetery was that of Mary W. Gibson (1824-1879). Trustees of the Stampede Springs School community purchased five acres including this site for a school, church and grayeyard in 1880. A post office opened in 1893, and the town was renamed Shannon, either by the U. S. Postal Service or by local settlers. In 1907 another acre was donated to the cemetery. The population of Shannon was 112 in the mid-1920s. A cemetery association was established in 1949. In 1990 the population was 23. There were 311 graves in the cemetery at the end of the 20th century, with 104 family names represented. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker dedicated 2000.

Transcriptions

Shannon Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com

Shannon Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com

Texas Death Index 1901-1905 compiled from newspaper obituaries and death notices.

Texas Death Records search and find your ancestors death notices and obituaries.

Texas Obituaries Search through thousands of Texas obituaries

Social Security Death Index Search over 92 million death records 1936-present

Texas Marriage and Divorce Records 1966 to 2010



book | about seo