Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
Also known as Bitterweed Flat Cemetery
2.75 mi. south of Lufkin on FM 324
FM 324 NW from SH 59 .8 miles to cemetery on west side on ROW next to the original mill pond
Hoshall. The Houston East and West Texas (HE&WT) Railroad came through Angelina County in 1882 and a community named Bitterweed Flat developed here. In 1913 W. E. Hoshall purchased land and timber rights in the area and began shipping logs from Hoshall Switch on the HE&WT in Bitterweed Flat. In 1917 Luke E. Wright established a sawmill and town with churches, schools, and a commissary at the switch site. The company town was named Hoshall and consisted of Anglo and African American citizens. The sawmills closed and by 1940 all that remained was the cemetery and the mill pond. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1994.
Hoshall Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives
Hoshall Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas.com
Hoshall Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com
Hoshall Cemetery Photos from the Texas Tombstone Project
Hoshall Cemetery photo from the Texas Historic Sites Atlas