Maps, transcriptions, photos and information for cemeteries in every county in Texas.
Also known as
Old Homer Cemetery
Angelina Community Cemetery
Loop 287/69 S; 69 S from Lufkin to FM 326. South .8 miles to Homer Cemetery Road. East .3 miles to cemetery.
4 mi. southeast of Lufkin on SH 69, .7 mi. south on FM 326 to Homer Cemetery Rd., .25 mi. north to cemetery
In 1854 W. W. Manning established a drugstore and sawmill in this area, and named the community after his former home in Homer, Louisiana. In 1856 Homer was chosen as Angelina County seat, following a mandate from the Texas Legislature to locate a permanent seat of government near the geographic center of each county. County surveyor William G. Lang platted the town of Homer in 1857. The town included a central courthouse surrounded by 24 blocks and 132 lots. Homer Cemetery was located southeast of the courthouse square. The first recorded grave in the cemetery is that of Margaret Patterson McMullen in 1861. Two of McMullen's sons served in the Civil War, and both are also buried here. Among other veterans from the Civil War to the Vietnam War Homer remained the county seat until 1892 and included several businesses, public and private schools, churches, and a newspaper. Due to its prominence in the county, many county officials are buried here. Governed by a board of trustees, Homer Cemetery contains 270 burials, and continues to serve the community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1997
Homer Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com
Homer Cemetery Photos from the Texas Tombstone Project
Homer Cemetery photo from the Texas Historic Sites Atlas